In Jeju city, you can have a glance of nature and folk cultures of Jeju Island. Folklore & Natural History Museum has eight (8) exhibitions that you can feel the wondrous nature and traces of Jeju life.
1. World Natural Heritage Exhibition – The Jeju Volcanic Island and Lava Tubes became the first UNESCO’s World Natural Heritage in Korea. The outstanding scenic value and geological features are recreated in this exhibition hall.
2. Natural History Exhibition – Jeju Island is the world’s only place holding the status of UNESCO’s “triple crown” designations in the field of natural sciences, i.e., Biosphere Reserve, World Natural Heritage, and Global Geopark. Visitors can view camphor tree, rhododendron weyrichii, white-backed woodpecker, and various Jeju’s indigenous and symbolic flora and fauna inhabiting jeju’s peculiar volcanic atmosphere of Gotwawal forests and oreum secondary volcanoes.
3&4. Folklore Exhibition Hall No. 1&2 – Jeju people have created a unique lifestyle while adapting to maritime climate, poor soil, and severe wind. Visitors can view folk cultures of Jeju people in the Folklore Exhibition halls.
5. Special Exhibition – The Jeju Folklore & Natural History museum strictly selects and offers a variety of exhibitions all year around in this Special Exhibition hall. Visitors can experience Jeju’s culture with a unique artistic sense through various genres to include Korean painting, pottery, and art craft, etc.
6. Outdoor Exhibition – Jeju people have learned how to use stones wisely on this stony volcanic island. Various household tools made of stones are displayed, to include various types of millstones and large bowls, along with Jeju’s traditional thatch-roofed house. This outdoor courtyard has become popular as a photo zone for visitors to take a picture.
7. Marine Exhibition – Located at southern tip of the Korean Peninsula, Jeju is a spawning and wintering ground for a variety of fish species. Visitors can see various fish species, corals, and seashells in this exhibition hall.
8. Stonework Exhibition – Stonework has been an important part of Jeju people’s lifestyle. Various stonework pieces, Jeju’s traditional hog pen, and the village shrine (Halmangdang) are recreated and displayed in this exhibition area.